The division is responsible for planning and facilitating the organization of National Assembly sessions and committee sittings. The division also fields secretary to the legislative committee besides providing professional advice and support services to the members and the Secretary General. The division carries out other responsibilities as and when required. Under it, there are two sections with specific responsibilities:
- Give legal opinion and advice on the constitutionality of Bills, resolutions, proposed amendment (s) to laws, and executive orders.
- When required, present legal implications of specific provisions of the Constitution, laws and executive orders, international conventions, treaties, and agreements to which Bhutan is a party.
- Update on parliamentary procedures and best practices.
- Review Bills, rules and regulations to ensure constitutionality, form, style, and substance.
- Help promulgate rules and regulations concerning the activities of the Secretariat.
- Prepare contracts, deeds and instruments to which the Secretariat is a party and interpret provisions of contracts concerning works private clients performed for the Secretariat.
- Handle legal matters of the Secretariat.
- Provide staff support, document committee and public hearings.
- Provide administrative and operational support for committee activities in collaboration with other units of the Secretariat.
- Prepare correspondences, committee reports and official communications of committees.
- Edit, proofread and coordinate printing, distribution and archival of minutes or transcript of committee proceedings and meetings.
- Monitor and prepare status report on Bills referred to committees and ensure access to high procedural advice and professional counsel for committee works.